From the New Farm Vegatarian Cookbook, their banana bread recipe is simply the best,easy to make and you don’t need any fancy ingredients to prop it up further. It tastes just as good the way it is.
ps- still experimenting with gluten free baking, more disasters than success. I need a better variety of flour, must go find sweet rice flour, potato flour , teff flour and amaranth! So for now, only semi free! 🙂
Preheat oven to 160degress C, and grease/line a loaf tin (8 x 4)
- 2 cups unbleached organic all purpose flour, or regular plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Sift and set aside
- 1/3 cup butter or margerine softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar ( prefer the dark brown sugar)
Cream above together
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
- 3 tbp of water, soya milk or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- (optional) 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
After creaming the butter and sugar, add in the sifted flour , alternate with the mashed banana mixture. Mix in the nuts finally until well incorporated.
Pour batter into the loaf tin and bake for 50 mins, test with a cake skewer.
(Above I just had enough 1/4 cup roughly ground walnuts, which I scattered on top of the bread before baking it. Make sure the nuts don’t get burned before the cake is done, you can cover with tin foil if it happens)