One of our favourite brunch egg dishes on Sundays. The original recipe was taken from Bon Appetit. The recipe below is enough for 2 persons.
- 4 eggs (beaten) – seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions or spring onions
- 1/2 cup diced and seeded tomatoes
- 1 tsp of finely chopped jalapenos (optional)
- 2 tbp of freshly grated parmesan cheese OR 1/2 cup of monterrey jack cheese grated.
- 1 tortilla (cut into strips)
- 2-3 tbp of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat up the saute pan and oil, fry the tortilla strips till crispy, drain and set aside. Add another 1 tbp of olive oil in the same pan, fry the scallions til fragrant. Add in the jalapenos, if using and fry for about 20 seconds, before pouring in the beaten eggs. Let the bottom set slightly, while top is still runny.
Add in the chopped tomato, fried tortilla, cilantro and cheese, seasoned a little with salt and pepper. Give the eggs a good stir like you would to scramble eggs, until cooked through but not overly fried.
Transfer straight to 2 serving plates equally portioned out. Serve with buttered wholemeal toast or bagel.