Browned butter – a rave these days by chefs, home cooks and food bloggers alike. Incidentally a cookie company in California has their own version of cookies with browned butter – which is such a hit that a range of browned butter cookie recipes have sprouted all over the internet, everyone trying their hand to replicate these delicious morsels!
This is my own attempt with the sea salt!
- 1 cup butter (250g salted butter)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (170 degrees C).
- Heat butter over medium heat for 5 minutes until it turns nut brown in color. The foaming and bubbling is part of the browning process, but watch it carefully so that you don’t burn the butter. (Give it the occasional stir so that the butter browns evenly, and doesn’t burn.) In my experience, I found grainy sediments with the browned butter. Remove from heat, and let the butter cool at room temperature completely.
- How to brown butter ? See http://www.chow.com/stories/10060 , some include the brown grainy bits (if not too burnt) . I strained mine.
- Pour browned butter (avoiding the sediments – I did that because I suspect I burnt it slightly, so I did not want to take the risk of consuming carcinogenic particles) carefully through a strainer into a cup measuring 1 cup (because using 250g butter, you have some extra left to work with) . Now you have the clear part of the melted butter. Then transfer it into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat browned butter with brown sugar for about 3 minutes on medium speed. Mix in the egg, beat for another 1 minute, followed by 1 tbp vanilla sugar, baking powder, flour and chopped almonds. Mix well so it is incorporated.
- Roll them into balls, about 1 tbp for each ball. Place each ball about 3 cm apart from one another on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a teeny pinch of sea salt on each ball. Do not use ordinary table salt – the taste is not quite the same and is too salty.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light browning around the edges. Cool completely before serving.
- Makes about 36 cookies.
If you fancy trying out another browned butter inspiration – why not the Browned Butter Pound Cake, http://www.thecookbookchronicles.com/blog/?p=3364