My mom’s roti babi recipe, an all time hit with the family.
- A bit of minced garlic - 1 tsp
- Minced pork 300-400g
- 1 quarter cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 big onion thinly sliced
- soya sauce* (if sweet don’t add sugar later on) to taste
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- sugar* 1/2 tsp
- white pepper to taste
- a pinch of 5 spice OR
- better still nyonya style use 1 cinnamon stick
Fry above together until cooked to make the filling.
- 1 -2 egg beaten with a pinch of salt beaten for coating the bread rolls
- 1 loaf of Bengali roti (or thick cut white bread trim off the crusty sides). Take 1 thick slice of bread, snip with scissors an incision on one side of the bread, to make a pocket out of the bread slice. The bread slice should be about 10cm x 10cm.
Take the bread, put filling in to the pocket of the bread, dip into egg mixture to coat / seal the edges with egg by pressing them together. Pan fry with generous oil (amount of oil used should cover the saute pan but not like deep frying). Turn the bread over when one side is golden, to fry the other side. When done, lift them over to a plate with absorbent paper to drain excess oil , before transferring to a serving plate. Eaten with dipping sauce (below).
The dipping sauce -> Lee and Perrin sauce, a bit of sugar with chopped red chillies -> mix them well.
Since this is a rustic snack , forget the garnishing - just chomp away when it is not too hot to burn your tongue!